The new Overwatch update was released today with the Anniversary skins
UPDATE ONE: Blizzard have released developer comments for all the major character changes confirmed in the Overwatch patch notes today.
The new Hero changes affect a wide-range of characters, including buffs for Genji and Hanzo, as well as nerfs for Reinhardt and Soldier: 76.
BLIZZARD ON GENJI: “Removed the attack delay from Genji’s wall climbing ability, This is a quality of life change to make wall climbing feel better.”
BLIZZARD ON HANZO: “Decreasing Hanzo’s draw time gives him more overall DPS, while also letting him fully charge an arrow and more quickly return to full movement speed when needed. And, like the change to Genji’s wall climbing, this is a quality of life change that will make climbing feel better.”
BLIZZARD ON ORISA: “To help Orisa maintain the front line for her team, we’re reducing the cooldown of her Protective Barrier. This change also helps her reposition the barrier more easily when needed. To compensate for this new defensive strength, we’re reducing her Fusion Driver’s damage, as it felt too high.”
BLIZZARD ON REINHARDT: “Earthshatter tended to climb unexpectedly high, frequently hitting targets that were significantly above the ground. These changes help the ability stay more grounded.”
BLIZZARD ON SOLDIER 76: “Bullet damage decreased from 20 to 19 – Soldier: 76 is in a much better place lately, but his damage output was making him a must pick, compared to similar roles.”
The official Overwatch patch notes confirm that tweaks have been made to a number of heroes, the biggest including Orisa, Hanzo and Genji.
There has also been an overhaul made to the Recoil Recovery Aim Compensation system, which can now be disabled for Ana, McCree, and Widowmaker.
The option can be found under the “Control” tab in the “Options” menu. Simply select the appropriate hero under the dropdown menu and look for the “Hero” section
“By default, weapon recoil recovery is overruled by downward crosshair movement. This means that downward movement during the weapon’s recoil recovery phase will override the weapon’s natural recoil recovery,” the developer comments explain.
“This option allows you to remove this functionality, meaning a weapon’s natural recoil recovery movement acts independently from downward crosshair movement.
“In practice, this will make your crosshair move faster if you aim downward during the recoil recovery window.”
New Overwatch patch notes have been revealed by Blizzard
- Added options for Hero Lockout, Limited Hero Pool, Tiebreakers, and Hero Reveal for Elimination mode
- Players can now disable secondary fire and secondary weapons in Custom Games
- You can now disable one Symmetra ultimate while leaving the other active
Other UI updates include:
- Your final blows are now highlighted by a white background in the Kill Feed
- Added new Kill Feed icons for environmental kills and a number of abilities
- Heroes resurrected by Mercy are now are now highlighted and color-coded in the Kill Feed
- Certain types of assists, like McCree’s Flashbang or Zenyatta’s Orb of Discord, now show up in the Kill Feed
- New Controller option: Force Keyboard/Mouse User Interface
“When PC players switch from using the Keyboard/Mouse to a game controller, the game’s user interface is dynamically updated to the console/controller version,” the developer comments read.
“Additionally, the button layout on many heroes (like Hanzo, Zenyatta, and Mercy) is different on console.
“In the past, when a player chose to play using a controller and a mouse, the UI would constantly switch, depending on which device was sending information to the game.
“This new option allows players to set a default user interface if they choose to use a controller along with a keyboard/mouse.”
The full Overwatch Hero patch notes can be found below:
- Removed the attack delay from Genji’s wall climbing ability, allowing him to engage with enemies immediately after he finishes climbing
- Removed the attack cooldown from Hanzo’s wall climbing ability, allowing him to engage with enemies immediately after he finishes climbing
- Increase charge speed by 10%
- Charged arrows now maintain their charge after climbing a wall, provided the button is continuously held
- Fusion Driver
- Damage reduced by 9%
- Protective Barrier
- Cooldown reduced from 12 seconds to 8 seconds
- Wraith Form
- Ammo is now entirely refilled when Wraith Form is used
- Effective height has been lowered from 3 meters to 2 meters
- The height threshold of objects that Earthshatter can “climb” has been lowered from 3 meters to 2 meters, making Earthshatter less likely to climb tall objects as it moves along the ground.
- Heavy Pulse Rifle
- Bullet damage decreased from 20 to 19