If there is only one thing you take from this article, let it be this: You absolutely musthave a blog with high-quality content before you even think about requesting placement on another blog. This is particularly true if you have your sights set on a well-known outlet like Forbes of Huffington Post; but it’s increasingly necessary that you have high-quality posts for all guest blogging opportunities.When a publisher is considering whether you’re a good fit for their site, the first place they’ll look is your blog. There are a number of factors they’ll be looking at on your site, including:
- The quality of your writing: Subject matter aside, is your writing free from typos and grammatical errors?
- Whether you’re a subject matter expert: Do you offer unique insights into industry-related topics, or do you simply rehash common topics?
- Social proof: How many comments, likes, and shares have your posts received? Publishers want to see that you have an established audience, and that your content is getting traction within your niche. Make sure your social sharing counters are displayed prominently, not only on your homepage but also on individual blog posts as well.
- Appropriate use of external linking: One of the tenets of high-quality content is the inclusion of links to authoritative sources. Publishers will be looking to see if you’re aware of — and citing high caliber, knowledgeable sources in your content.
- Prominent placement of your name on your content: Ensure that your name and bio are included on all your posts. This is particularly important for multi-author blogs.